Thursday, July 16, 2009

The first of many


My name is Blake Gosse and for those of you that don't know, I have been working on a photo book of re-settled/abandoned communities in Newfoundland. To accomplish this I will be traveling all over the island to document the remains of each place.

Upon my return I will post some select photos from the places I've been, showcasing what it is that I'm doing, giving you a sneak peek at the making of my book.

Having just returned from the community of Petites, where i spent three days and learned much more than expected, I am now sifting through the hundreds of photos that I captured while there.

When I first arrived at Petites, I was shocked to find over 40 standing structures, all scattered over a rocky granite landscape. Several of the structures were still in very good condition, among them, a still standing, two story church that had been built back in the 1800's.

Aside from two or three homes which had been very well managed for use of summer homes and cabins, all of the other buildings were starting to show their age due to the harsh environment in which they are subjected.

When entering the homes that weren't locked or boarded up, it was truly saddening to see them in such a damaged state. As I could tell that these were once beautiful homes where loving families once lived, in a community that had been on the rise with a population of close to 300 people at one point.

Feel free to comment or email me any questions or concerns you may have regarding this Book, or anything related to it. I will try to make at least one post every week or two. I can't promise anything because I don't know how long I will be away for during times of travel.

Keep checking back or subscribe to the RSS feed, or become a member (right side of the page) and you will be automatically notified of a new post by email, as this is the first post of many.



-Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment